Monday, July 02, 2007

New firmware for N95

I have read several posts about the new N95 firmware which was released by Nokia in May. All of the articles I read spoke of the cool new features and improvements included in the new release and I couldn't wait to get my grubby little mitts on it.

Like a good compliant user, I faithfully tried to upgrade my phone using the Nokia Phone Updater software once or twice a week for the last four weeks or so. Each time I was disappointed by a message saying that there is no new version available for my phone.

Just as I was starting to get really frustrated, I stumbled upon this great post on Simply Symbian over the weekend. Following these instructions, I successfully changed my phone's product code using the Nemisis Service Suite so that the Nokia Phone Updater believes it is a European model. I was then able to download the new firmware and upgrade the phone successfully. Yeehaa!

The new firmware is awesome! My GPS now acquires lock in seconds thanks to the new Assisted GPS feature. The phone's UI is much more responsive too.

I guess Nokia will eventually get to releasing the new firmware in this region, but if you're like me and just can't wait for them to decide when we Africans need access to their latest technology, give this a go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Wayne :) I'm glad you found my article helpful. Hopefully the new N82 (which will be released in Q4 2007) and it's GPS will work better than the N95.