Friday, June 08, 2007

Brick layer or architect?

I am one of those fortunate people who can honestly say that my job is my hobby. I have always had a passion for computer programming and electronics. Over the last 12 years or so, I have had the privilege of being involved in the development of some awesome products. I am really grateful to those who have enabled me to mould and shape my job into the dream job it is today. You know who you are!

Some of my favourite days at work are those when I can get stuck into serious programming without interruptions. I had a few of those days this week. I find it mega rewarding to end my day with the sense of accomplishment that comes from having built something.

Dump says I become distant when I am in this mode. It's not intentional. It's just that writing software is an all consuming pastime. It utilises most of my CPU cycles leaving just enough processing power for breathing.

As much as I love programming, I love working with smart people around a flip chart or whiteboard designing something cool. Through the years, I have had the privilege of working with some exceptionally bright people. You know who you are too!

Last but not least, there is little more rewarding than having the opportunity to show off the fruits of our labour. I really enjoy getting to travel from time to time, meeting customers, demonstrating our products and training people to get the most out of them. My job affords me this privilege too.

So in the debate about whether it’s better to be a brick layer or an architect, I say a bit of both, with a dash of salesman and a dose of trainer does it for me.

No comments: