Saturday, June 23, 2007

Mobile codes

I discovered a neat technology on the Nokia web site called Mobile Codes. Nokia have included barcode scanning software on the N95 and other S60 devices facilitating scanning of 2D barcodes using the built-in camera.

2D barcodes can carry much more data than old fashioned 1D codes so there are loads of possibilities for this technology. For example, it would be possible to print a 2D barcode containing your contact details on the back of your business card. Contacts could then scan your business card directly into their phone's address book. Pretty cool!

I think I could use this technology to scan a Sudoku puzzle into the N95 and then have the N95 solve it as suggested by Craniac in response to my post entitled Sudoku Success.

Here is a 2D barcode containing this site's URL:

Wayne's Spot

These are screenshots of my N95 reading it off my computer's screen. After the phone has read the URL, clicking on it opens the phone's web browser and navigates to it.

Barcode Reader URL after scanning

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Wayne

this tech has been around for at least 3 years. I and a mate played around for ages with its potential...the problem is better tech has come along so quickly.

Essentially the possibility for your phone to instantly recognise a code (by taking a picture) was foiled by the general apathy of the manufacturers to incorporate the code automatically making it a mission to find the software to install for your particular phone. Nokia to their credit eventaully did it to some models.

It was lots of fun though and we did a couple of promoss with it

I believe it was called semacode?!

gtc said...

Great post - thanks.

Wayne said...

Thanks GTC. I see from Facebook that you know my sister-in-law Leona Davies?