Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Bright sparks

Why is it that no matter how simple you make a product, someone’s going to find a new and creative way to break it? Often, this involves using the product outside of its design specifications.

Design a product to run on 12 volts. Some clown is going to install it in a 24 volt vehicle. It’s only a matter of time.

“Oh! I didn’t know it wouldn’t work!” … “But the installation manual states 12 volts only!” … “But why doesn’t it work?” … “Because it’s designed to run on 12 volts not 24.” … “Well that’s not very good! It should work on 24 volts.” … “It wasn’t designed to work on 24 volts!” … “So how am I going to fix it?” … “Remove it from the 24 volt vehicle.” … “But the vehicle has gone.” … “Didn’t you test it before you let the vehicle go?” … “Yes.” … “And did it work ok when you tested it?” … “No.” … “<Homer Simpson> Doh! </Homer Simpson>”

I guess I shouldn’t complain. This is job security for product developers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But surely it will work twice as well at 24 volts. :-)

Wayne said...

I guess so Steve, but I wonder why it more than half works on 6 volts? :-)