Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Nice 95

The gadget freak in me is well and truly pleased! My shiny new Nokia N95 arrived a few days ago. It's taken me a few days (and nights) to familiarise myself with all of its features, but I must admit, I'm not disappointed. It's an awesome little device. It turned out to be smaller than I thought it would be which is great because I always carry my phone in my pocket so small is good. It's a bit smaller than my old Nokia 6680.

I like the fact that it does a proper job of fulfilling its primary purpose - it's a great phone with excellent voice quality and a familiar Nokia interface. I have owned various devices with styluses and qwerty keyboards but I still find the phone keypad with T9 dictionary by far the best for fast typing, especially when I only have one hand available like when running through an airport trying to reply to an SMS.

When it comes to connectivity, there is nothing lacking. It's got every connectivity option you could ask for from infra red through HSDPA. The WiFi is a big plus for me both at home and at the office and makes the phone's great web features much more useable.

There's very cool integration with Flickr. I uploaded a pic from my phone directly to my newly created Flickr photo stream and it was quick and painless.

The GPS works well and the mapping software is very nifty. I'd like to try out the navigation service at some point. It seems to be reasonably priced. I'd also like to try out the free LifeBlog software which apparently facilitates posting to your blog directly from the phone. Might be useful to be able to blog whilst sitting in a boring meeting.

The jury is out on the battery life. I know there's been a lot said about poor battery life. I need to use it a bit more to see how that goes. But when all is said and done, I think this little gadget is a very nice package indeed.

1 comment:

The Lush said...

You've sold me - I can't wait to get mine. Oh it's so pretty.